History of art Gander and body
Mary Ann Caws, â€œLadies Shot and Painted: Female Embodiment in Surrealist Art.â€
Get Assignment Writing Help
Our experts are ready to complete your assignment, course work. essay, test, dissertation, research paper, quizGet Started
Your review is to be
1. typewritten or computer generated
3. margins no greater than 1.25â€œ
4. 11-point Times New Roman font
YOUR REVIEW SHOULD HAVE 3 PARTS:
The 1st paragraph should be a summary of the authorâ€™s argument. After reading the essay, consider the following questions as you write:
- What is the thesis/main argument(s)?
- What are the major points/issues of the argument (s)?
- How does the author try to convince you of his/her argument? Through repetition, comparison, allegory, etc.?
- What evidence does the author use to support his/her argument? Does he/she rely on quotes from the time period? Other images? Novels, etiquette manuals, treatises, etc. from the time period? Etc.
- What about the work of art seems to interest the author: the class, ethnicity or gender of the persons depicted? The history/mythology being depicted? The political or historical ramifications of the scene depicted? The formal elements of the composition? The symbolism of objects depicted? etc.
The 2nd paragraph should be a critique of the authorâ€™s argument. After reading the essay and summarizing the argument in the 1st paragraph, consider the following questions:
- Is the authorâ€™s argument convincing? Why or why not?
- Does the author make any assumptions about the intentions of the artist? About the meaning of the work of art? Other assumptions? If so, what are they?
- What conflicts or problems do you see with the argument? Are there any contradictions?
- What are the positive aspects of the argument? Do you find it a productive way to think about the image(s)?
- Could the argument apply to other images/artists? If so, how? Be specific.
After the 2nd paragraph, skip several lines and list 3 questions you have about the essay or that you think would generate class discussion. These questions will be used as a basis for discussion in class.
These questions should be typewritten and DONE BEFORE CLASS. You will not get credit for questions that are handwritten!
Stuck with a Question?
Get it solved from our top experts within 8 hrs!Ask Your Question Now!